Re: Generalist ADs?

2015-03-28 10:41:13
On 03/26/2015 01:38 PM, Black, David wrote:

Hi Spencer,

I usually leave “silly rabbit ...” lines to the ADs - they’re better at that than I am ;-).

Currently, with the exception of the IETF Chair, ADs are selected with a strong focus on specific expertise in an Area. I was suggesting adding a few “At-Large” ADs who would be selected with a strong focus on generalist skills, and I think I saw other comments in favor of adding generalists to the IESG during discussion of the initial area merge proposal.

The At-Large ADs could serve as out-of-area ADs to spread the WG management load. In addition, the existence of At-Large AD positions could help the NomCom; if for some Area, the preferable slate of new AD candidates and continuing ADs is missing an important chunk of expertise, perhaps one of the good At-Large AD candidates would have that expertise.

Generalist ADs could also be valuable in helping IESG manage tussles between areas, since a generalist AD would be more likely to see such tussles and take steps to resolve them, than an IESG that's buried deep in a particular area or layer of the protocol stack.

Keith