Re: FTP as an interesting privacy example

2015-04-06 15:51:38
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

On 06/04/15 18:45, Ned Freed wrote:
My point is only that if we want to debate the appropriate mechanisms
to put in place to protect the privacy of access to public IETF
information, then let's not do that based on the FTP corner case, but
by considering the general question.
And I quite simply disagree with this approach. I think FTP provides an
interesting test case and context under which to consider the more
general question.

Somehow, privacy + publicly accessible documents seems like a corner case all of its own. Obviously, we're not talking about keeping the document itself secure, and ftp supports anonymous access.

Plus, there's SFTP and FTPS if we really want secure access coupled with FTP.

So what, exactly is the privacy consideration here?

Miles Fidelman