Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-12 06:57:04

On Sun Apr 12 06:01:49 2015 GMT+0100, Michael StJohns wrote:
I'm detecting that a consensus might have been reached on this topic to wit:

Removal of the FTP service should probably not go forward at this time.  The
primary reason for retention of FTP is due to the desire to maintain the
stability of the various ftp:// references embedded throughout the web sites
and document series.

There are other less widely held/expressed reasons for retaining the service,
but none of those appear to outweigh the general goal of simplifying the
service infrastructure.

There are also other less widely held/expressed reasons for eliminating the
service past those stated in the original request for input, but none of them
appear to trump the reference stability issue.

Is the above a fair summary of the main point and conclusions?

I think it is. While it wasn't formally  an ietf consensus call, and earlier
discussion seemed more ok with turning it off, later discussion did convince me
that that folks seem to want to keep the ftp option.

S.

Mike