Re: Policy and tools regarding the filing of Internet Drafts

2015-04-30 12:54:14

On 4/22/15, 11:49 AM, "Warren Kumari" <warren(_at_)kumari(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
On 4/21/15 7:51 AM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
I think this would be overkill. Of course it depends on the frequency
of the times this happens. My guess is a very small 0.001 or
something like that percentage.

That's probably the case but it still seems to be a problem (I've
had it happen, as well).  I think part of this is cultural and a
failure to understand IETF process (i.e. creating bogus, orchestrated
support for moving a document along), but it may be worthwhile, at
some point, to create a mechanism for a "coauthor" to either take a
draft down or expire it early.  Not a high priority.

Seeing as the motivation for doing this (and similar things) is to try
ride the coattails of well known participants I think we can solve
this "issue" by having people who this happens to publicly (in the WG
or on discuss@) call out the fact that this happened.
Removing the benefit of doing this (and turning it into a detriment
instead) seems like an easy, no new process, etc solution.

Being called out by a well known participant might prejudice discussion of
an otherwise useful draft. I might not even know what I think about the
idea yet, so I may not want to shoot it down for reasons outside of its
worthiness. Heck, I might love the idea so much I want to be a co-author.

I've been thinking about the point that requiring confirmation from all
authors would slow down the process when against a deadline, and it could
be easily gamed if the submitter lists herself as the only author on the
-00, then immediately submits a -01 listing all of the other authors. Then
the WG gets timely access to the content of the draft, and the authors
bring -01 (fully attributed and attested) as the version for discussion.

Lee

Melinda

idea in the first place.
of pants.