RE: [6lo] Possible 6LoWPAN dispatch type deprecation and re-use for route over purposes

2015-05-18 09:28:43
I agree with Carsten here;

There is no ethertype in 15.4 and the networks do what they like. I'm sure that
if we dig around we'll find networks that actually employ the same bits as what
we understand as the mesh header dispatch sequence.
A way to sort networks out that used by Wireless HART is to define a well-known
key in the standard for use during the join process. We are considering doing
the same thing in 6TiSCH.

I read in a recent thread that the mesh header is even being used to carry IPv6
addresses in a compressed form as opposed to short and long 802.15.4 addresses.
How could a standard implementation know that this is happening and deal with
it? Inside a particular network, the expectation is that the mesh header
dispatched is used in an interoperable way. From the above, that expectation is
already untrue between standards that claim 6LowPAN compliance.

If a network uses the RFC4944 mesh header format, then it cannot be extended
and things are cast in stone forever. In my view, the only real worry is right
there.  That network will not be able to use new stuff that the renovation
format enables tomorrow. Which can be tons of stuff since now that the format
is widely extensible.

And yes, a manufacturer will have to design his software for the particular
network(s) it aims at. Because different standards and compliances require
different things, and 6LowpAN is only a little portion of that.

Cheers,

Pascal