Re: Gen-art LC review: draft-hansen-scram-sha256

2015-05-22 17:00:45
On 4/2/15 2:41 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-hansen-scram-sha256
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: 2Apr2015
IETF LC End Date: 24Apr2015
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

be considered.

Nits/editorial comments:

Nit:
It raises flags for me when an Informational document uses "Updates"
on a standards track document.
I would argue that this does _not_ update 5802. IANA did the things
that 5802 requested, and this document
is requesting something else that happens to change those things. That
makes this more of a "see also" than
a "the protocol changed", and I think the Updates should be removed.

I don't feel super strongly about the difference in _this particular
case_, hence its classification as a Nit.
But for consistency, and avoiding the issue of having an Informational
update a PS, I hope you choose to remove it.

Editorial comment:
The URLs in the references section seem superfluous since you've
already expanded them in the introduction?

Finally made it back to working on this doc. Thank you Robert for your
review.

Your comments raise a different question for me: should this spec
instead be on the standards track? It *is* defining a SASL mechanism
that will probably be used in other standards, in particular, httpauth.

One of the reasons for the updates is that mailing address specified in
5802 has changed. If someone reads 5802 without reading this spec, they
will probably send email to the wrong mailing address.

As for the URIs, those will go away when the paragraph holding them goes
away.

Thanks again for the comments.

    Tony Hansen