Re: WG Review: CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (cose)

2015-05-22 16:04:37
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:52:06PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
It did not need to be this way. Many of us who commented on CBOR said that
we do not want any encoding that changes the JSON data model. In fact the
only limitations we find in JSON are the need to perform escaping on string
literals and the lack of a binary blob type. Rather than develop a [...]

Also inefficiency as to numbers.  In a binary protocol ideally numbers
could be sent in whatever format is easiest for the sender (e.g.,
little-endian IEEE754 doubles).

All I wanted was: chunking for strings, which effectively takes care of
the need for a binary type, and binary numbers.  CBOR added a datetime
type, optional tagging of items, and who knows what else.

IESG should reject this WG proposal and all future proposals of this type.

+1 to this and Sam's take.

Nico