Re: [Tzdist] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tzdist-service-08.txt> (Time Zone Data Distribution Service) to Proposed Standard

2015-06-17 15:59:13
Hi Patrik,

--On June 17, 2015 at 5:14:43 PM -0300 Patrik Fältström <paf(_at_)frobbit(_dot_)se> wrote:

Many clients do today ask where the event takes place. One select
timezone based on a city, or location. I want that location I choose in
the client to stay in the calendar object. Not be translated to some TZid
(and now to a TZ definition that is inserted in the object).

So, yes, having TZID in the object is a BIG step forward, the most
important one.

The next is to for example be able to have the address of a physical
event both as location for the event and as pointer into a TZ database.

Once again, tzdist is The Key Thing, that I have waited for.

The rest is just implementation and agreement on what you can use for
lookups.

I think this boils down to changing the set of time zone identifiers that clients use from the current IANA tzdb set, to a more dynamic city/country code. That is certainly much more feasible to do once we start getting clients and servers using tzdist, because the tzdist server could manage .

We have also talked about implementing a geo->tzid mapping action in tzdist as an extension. That would probably be a good first step along the road to getting to where we want to be.

--
Cyrus Daboo