Re: Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection

2015-06-22 17:59:02

On 6/22/2015 3:49 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 03:09:50PM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
I suppose the Japanese debt might be a usable substitute for next
time, since it's also a large rich country with a large debt.

More digits!

I see no good reason to use debt values other than as a political statement.

The IETF and ISOC make far too many of these, IMO. This is a case where
there's good reason to do otherwise.

Lotteries are sufficient and prevalent.

Which lotteries?  One per-country would be insufficiently
representative.  How shall we choose lotteries and how many per-country?
Should we adjust by relative currency exchange rates?  ...

In case it's not clear: I am being facetious, and I think your concern
should be dismissed.  Including U.S. debt numbers is not a political
statement.

I claim there is no good reason to repeatedly used the debt value of a
single country as such a value other than as such a statement.

If you believe there is, then make your case.

If not, then we should either rotate countries or omit debt values from
this process.

Joe