Re: CITIZENFOUR in Prague

Den 25. juni 2015 17:56, skrev Joe Touch:
Nope. The IETF isn't political at all.

We take positions, and we're proud of it.

A Mission Statement for the IETF (RFC 3935) section 4.1 is most explicit:

   The Internet isn't value-neutral, and neither is the IETF.  We want
   the Internet to be useful for communities that share our commitment
   to openness and fairness.  We embrace technical concepts such as
   decentralized control, edge-user empowerment and sharing of
   resources, because those concepts resonate with the core values of
   the IETF community.  These concepts have little to do with the
   technology that's possible, and much to do with the technology that
   we choose to create.

IMO, your interpretation of this as relating to political issues
mistakes the IETF for EFF.

Further, organizations that promote political agendas take great pains
to separate those events (and financial resources) from non-political
meetings. Otherwise, e.g., those on US gov't funds might be questioned
about their registration fees here.

I take the above instead to mean that the IETF should not "let a
thousand flowers bloom" but rather pick technologies based on their core
values. When the IETF has had opportunity to do this, they have
summarily and repeatedly failed in favor of the profits of their
participants. I have said repeatedly that "sometimes the right answer is
'no'".

The powerful IETF community reaction to the pervasive monitoring issue
just shows that what we adopted as IETF consensus in BCP 95, 2004 is
still what this community's about.

How exactly do the following fit with "resonating with the [IETF's} core
values" (e.g., the E2E principle, simple core/smart edge, etc.)? with
BCP95?:

        - support for NAT

        - support for DPI via deep parsing of IPv6 header chains

Seems to me those *enable* pervasive monitoring. Oh, yeah - that's OK
when it's for profit ;-)

And I'm proud of that.

I support everyone's ability to do so personally. Doing so as a group,
IMO, again confuses the IETF with the EFF.

Joe

Joe

On Jun 24, 2015, at 2:02 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot(_at_)mnot(_dot_)net>