Re: CITIZENFOUR in Prague

2015-06-29 09:28:40
Den 26. juni 2015 18:40, skrev Joe Touch:

Den 25. juni 2015 17:56, skrev Joe Touch:
Nope. The IETF isn't political at all.

We take positions, and we're proud of it.

A Mission Statement for the IETF (RFC 3935) section 4.1 is most explicit:

   The Internet isn't value-neutral, and neither is the IETF.  We want
   the Internet to be useful for communities that share our commitment
   to openness and fairness.  We embrace technical concepts such as
   decentralized control, edge-user empowerment and sharing of
   resources, because those concepts resonate with the core values of
   the IETF community.  These concepts have little to do with the
   technology that's possible, and much to do with the technology that
   we choose to create.

IMO, your interpretation of this as relating to political issues
mistakes the IETF for EFF.

You'll note that I chose not to use the word "political". That was
deliberate.

"Political" is used in a variety of ways, many of which I don't agree
with. The use of the word also varies greatly from country to country,
so it's fraught with danger for anyone from one country to use the word
in debates occuring in another country.

So I find the use of the word to be a distraction.

I see the showing of CITIZENFOUR as completely consistent with the
position the IETF has taken with such steps as publishing "Pervasive
Monitoring is an Attack" (RFC 7258, BCP 188).

I support this position.

That's all.