Re: CITIZENFOUR in Prague

2015-07-01 11:16:40
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

[...]
You'll note that I chose not to use the word "political". That was
deliberate.

"Political" is used in a variety of ways, many of which I don't agree
with. The use of the word also varies greatly from country to country,
so it's fraught with danger for anyone from one country to use the word
in debates occuring in another country.

So I find the use of the word to be a distraction.

I see the showing of CITIZENFOUR as completely consistent with the
position the IETF has taken with such steps as publishing "Pervasive
Monitoring is an Attack" (RFC 7258, BCP 188).

I support this position.

That's all.

In a paper I published in 2003 in the Harvard Law Revied I argued that the IETF (at its best) is a model of how to do a special, limited, Habermassian form of politics:

A. Michael Froomkin, http://law.tm
Laurie Silvers & Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law
Editor, Jotwell: The Journal of Things We Like (Lots),  jotwell.com
Program Chair, We Robot 2016 | +1 (305) 284-4285 |  froomkin(_at_)law(_dot_)tm
                        -->It's warm here.<--