Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-07-17 09:21:23
I have no particular objection to the concept here, but I do have a
question about one sentence in the draft.  Section 1 states:
   Like Top-Level Domain Names, .onion addresses can have an arbitrary
   number of subdomain components.  This information is not meaningful
   to the Tor protocol, but can be used in application protocols like
   HTTP [RFC7230].

I honestly don't understand what is being stated here, or why a claim is
made about HTTP at all in this document.  Are we talking about the
common practice of www.example.com == example.com?  And what
significance does that last phrase have to the document?

Eliot