Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-21 05:34:57
Hi John,

On 7/21/15 11:30 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
John, I think many of us have developed very low expectations of
ICANN and, as you certainly know, the situation you describe
above (often known as "capture") is only one of the problems.
One result is that there have been a lot of decisions in recent
years that start from "if we let them near that, they will mess
it up and/or figure out a way to turn it into a profit center"
and then moves to some sort of workaround.  The difficulty with
that approach is that it lets them off the hook and, in the long
term, may make things ever worse.

I see things quite differently.  It lets *us* off the hook when we don't
exercise the technical discretion that we are supposed to have with
regard to the Internet architecture and forces ICANN to separately
develop the capabilities necessary to technically support themselves.
They are already a long way down that path, and while some of that is a
good thing, too much can lead to divides between the organizations.  And
we ARE supposed to provide something of value to the ICANN community as
to others.

Eliot