Re: domain names that aren't DNS names, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-21 06:09:47
On Jul 20, 2015, at 9:33 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:
I think we agree that changing the syntax of every application that
uses domain names won't work.  So that means we pick some set of names
currently unused in the DNS and carve it out to mean that a name gets
handled specially.

We already have a draft for that.  See draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld-06.

What Warren’s draft does is orthogonal to what RFC 6761 does.   Were Warren’s
draft to achieve consensus, that would provide an escape for some applications
that might otherwise tend to go through the RFC 6761 process, but it would not
address the onion use case, nor several other use cases, nor does it solve the
general problem you and I are presently discussing.