Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-07-21 06:48:37
"Ted" == Ted Lemon <ted(_dot_)lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> writes:

    Ted>    On Jul 21, 2015, at 1:36 AM, George Michaelson
    Ted> <ggm(_at_)algebras(_dot_)org>
    Ted>    wrote:

    Ted>    This is a non-sequitur.  SOCKS is a tunnel for your network
    Ted> API.  Architecturally, it??s quite a poor choice for
    Ted> solving the problem we are discussing.  It??s used to
    Ted> solve that problem because it??s the easiest hack to
    Ted> make it work, not because it??s the right thing to
    Ted> do.

However, efficiency of implementation is a concern it's reasonable for
the IETF to value and we typically value it highly.
Being able to implement things like TOR on top of sox shims, and being
able to implement hidden services on top of SOX shims is very valuable.
It allows us to add support for hidden services without modifying the
end applications.
Being able to do that is a requirement.

Using a mechanism like a URI, a separate DNS class, or something other
than a reserved name would make it much harder to meet this requirement.

having thought about this and a number of related issues, I strongly
support the basic idea of registering .onion as a special-use name.
I don't have particular stakes in the discussion about the  resolver or
application behavior sections of the draft.

--Sam