Re: domain names that aren't DNS names, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-20 20:34:00
More generally and with the understanding that
it doesn't actually help us make progress, it would be plausible
to answer your question above with "CLASSes work fine, it is
URLs that are broken and don't work".

OK, let’s run with that for a bit.   Suppose we change URLs.   What about
hostnames for ssh?   What about for ftp?
What about for every other place where hostnames are used?

I think we agree that changing the syntax of every application that
uses domain names won't work.  So that means we pick some set of names
currently unused in the DNS and carve it out to mean that a name gets
handled specially.

We already have a draft for that.  See draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld-06.

R's,
John