New Version of draft-farrresnickel-harassment

2015-07-29 09:41:48
Hi,

After some very fruitful mail exchanges on and off the list and some detailed
discussions face-to-face in Prague, we have produced a new revision of the
anti-harassment process document.

Some of the changes are quite large. Others are small, but subtle. I recommend
reading the whole document, but if you want to look only at changes, I suggest
you diff against -05, the version that was updated after IETF last call and
went to the IESG for evaluation.

In checking to see what changes were made and whether they addressed your
comments, please bear in mind that there were a lot of comments made in a
conversational manner and it was quite hard to round them up and determine
exactly what changes needed to be made. Ines did a great job helping as
Shepherd, but if we have missed something you said, it is not because we are
ignoring you: it's just that we lost the point amongst other comments and
discussions.

Additionally, I'd ask you to think about whether what we have is "good enough"
to act as a starting point. I'm conscious that we have been debating having
this piece of process for a long time and that my personal preference is to get
something going (a beta release?) and then tune it as we go forwards. In the
light of that I know that consensus on some parts of the document may be a
little rough. This mainly happens when the opinions on an issue are very
divergent and not easily brought together. I hope that we have done a good job
at building bridges, but will not be surprised or upset if some of you are not
happy.

I'm responsible for most of the edits in this round (with assistance from
multiple people) so please blame me (and complain about me to Pete) for any
nonsense.

As to process, I suggest that this document needs to be taken around for
another IETF last call, but I leave that to Jari as the responsible AD.

Thanks,
Adrian

===

In summary...

Abstract: clarify the nature of updates to existing RFCs.

Introduction: s/interpersonal/personal/

Definitions: Clarify that the definition of harassment is deliberately not a
closed list.

Definitions: Add a paragraph (loosely based on the IEEE's equivalent policy) to
scope when harassment applies within the IETF.

Definitions: Add a clause recommended by our lawyers about applicable law.

Ombudsteam: Clarify "recompense" to mean "compensation from the IETF".

Term of Service: Add paragraph for when an Ombudsperson's term ends while they
are acting as Lead Ombudsperson .

Term of Service: Add a note about likelihood of reappointment.

Compensation: Clarify "recompense" to mean "compensation from the IETF".

Removal: Expand the times that an Ombudsperson can be removed.

Handling Reports: Fix email address and URL.

Handling Reports: Clarify that remedies are imposed only after completing
investigations.

Operating Practices: Expand on confidentiality expectations.

Operating Practices: Clarify that the Respondent is contacted and given an
opportunity to interact before a remedy is imposed.

Operating Practices: Add when the Ombudsteam must commit things to writing.

Remedies: Add that mediation ned not be an end point.

Remedies: Show how remedies may be actioned through the Secretariat or IAD.

Remedies for Respondents in IETF Positions: Add substantial new section.

Purpose of Remedies: Expand on the details and theme of "not as punishment"
remedies.

Confidentiality: Add new section to describe expectations.

Acknowledgements: What a lot of you have helped with this document!