Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-08-07 10:30:47
On 8/7/15, 10:29, "DNSOP on behalf of Wendy Seltzer"
<dnsop-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of wseltzer(_at_)w3(_dot_)org>
wrote:

You might find https://spec.torproject.org/ helpful as a listing of
various tor specs and design documents, if you prefer that to a git
repository.

That's the site I've been using.

While Tor has not necessarily used IETF conventions, the project has
long been committed to public documentation of its design and protocol
choices. Tor distinguishes between "proposals," not yet implemented, and
specs.[1]

It's fine to "not use IETF conventions".  (One of my ratholes is that I
find researching IETF documents rather frustrating - just to underscore I
am not saying Tor's documentation is deficient compared to IETF standards.)

Still, the documents I have access to do not give me a deep enough sense
of, well, why the names are different from DNS domain names.  I presume
they are from the email discussion, but what I am reading in the documents
- and I stress "reading in the documents" meaning that might be the gap -
doesn't give me enough background.

As far as stability of the documents, referring to a document by URL only
(which is accepted in IETF documents at times) isn't generally accepted.
I admit this is a bit of a red herring point, because this can be changed,
but if there were other means to refer to the document in a reference
citation, it would help.

E.g., randomly typing a four digit RFC number:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7392.txt

vs.

Dutta, P., Bocci, M., and L. Martini, "Explicit Path Routing for Dynamic
Multi-Segment Pseudowires", RFC 7392, DOI 10.17487/RFC7392, December 2014,
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7392>.

That is, full title, RFC document identity, date and authors/editors (not
in that order).

PS - I don't mean to harp on this.  I'd hoped to have someone send me
links to other documents because I want to learn more about the names in
".onion" and other identifiers in Tor.