Re: [saag] Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-13 16:34:42
On 13 Aug 2015, at 16:07, Michael StJohns wrote:

Yes but as I noted - finding that in the IESG minutes requires email archeology.

Or web site archeology.

There is nothing associated with the document itself, nor for that matter with the RFC index system that indicates that a document was made a BCP on a date other than the date it was published.

As Stephen points out, there is a web page for status changes.

Changes to Historic require the submission of an RFC to mark the change

Not according to 2026 6.4. All it requires is a Last-Call and then the notification procedures in 6.1.3.

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/designating-rfcs-as-historic.html While you are correct that 2026 only requires what you say it does, I read the IESG statement on saying "no, we're not doing it that way any more and it's our call".

That page says: “The current process, then, of moving an RFC to Historic status is to follow one of these, depending upon the level of documentation and discussion of the documentation required:”

You will notice that following #1 does *not* require a new I-D/RFC, but only a status change document.

2) According to RFC 2026, BCPs are documents of the IESG, not the IAB and IESG together.

My read has always been that the IAB and/or IESG can create a document for the purposes above, it goes through an IETF discussion/edit, and then it can become a BCP of the IETF.

I can live with the reading of the text. But does that then mean that the IAB of the current era should be giving its approval as a group prior to asking the IESG for its approval? Given that it is a joint statement and both groups are listed as authors.

Well, that’s just another example of why I object to just making this a BCP instead of re-writing it so it’s clear what the document means. My read of what’s supposed to happen is that the IAB (and/or IESG) tosses something over the wall, the IETF would chew on it, and publish whatever they came up with as a BCP. This thing being written as a joint statement of the IESG and IAB doesn’t sound like an IETF consensus statement. It should take all of an hour to rewrite this into a draft that doesn’t sound like a joint opinion of the leadership. I don’t see why someone doesn’t just do that.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478