Re: Proposal for a Clean Internet (by design)

2015-09-03 21:05:57
On Sep 3, 2015, at 18:17, Bhakta Giridhari Damoda Das Jonadon Brah
Mahabarat <giridhari(_at_)live(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> wrote:

------------------------------
Proposal for A Safe, Clean Internet
------------------------------

Your approach seems to be to achieve universal consensus on what "safe and
clean" means and then... Well, let me stop there, because that's enough.
Good luck with the first part.

I'm a father of two, a fifteen year old boy and a ten year old girl. Both
of them have grown up never knowing a computer that wasn't connected to the
Internet (well, they've seen them, but those ones are called "broken
computers"). Neither of them have ever had their access censored by me.

Both of them have found things in the world that were scary or confusing
using the Internet. I know this because they have both talked to me about
it. But they have learned themselves how to find things that are
interesting, entertaining or that otherwise suit their tastes and they
don't need my help in figuring out what they like, regardless of whether
those things are online or in meatspace.

I am glad my kids started figuring this stuff out early. I'm glad they
continue to figure this stuff out. In my opinion you grow healthy and
capable adults by repeatedly challenging them from a tender age until
they're old enough to make good decisions on their own.

If there *was* a subset of the Internet that contained only content that
satisfied some contrived, universal moral standard, I would keep my kids
away from it. Their job is to learn about the world, and my job is not to
hide it from them.

I'm not suggesting that I know better than anybody else, but I thought a
data-point that challenged the fundamental premise of what I sense you're
trying to achieve might be useful.

Joe