Re: Last Call: Moving RFC 795 (Service Mappings) to Historic

2015-11-10 14:54:26
fwiw, writing as diffserv WG co-chair when RFC 2474 was published, we should
probably
have obsoleted RFC 795 then. As a matter of fact, one of the authors of RFC
2474 was
aware of RFC 795 (see draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt), but apparently we
dropped the ball.

Looking at a message on the IAB list from Rob Austein on this topic in June
2000,
I learn that RFC 1122 section 3.2.1.6 already states that RFC 795 is obsolete,
so marking it as Historic should actually have happened in 1989.

wrt John's point, grep UNKNOWN rfc-index.txt | wc reveals that there are 904
RFCs with Status: UNKNOWN. I don't think this approach scales well.

Regards
   Brian