Re: IESG Area Structure and Last night's missing question

2015-11-10 14:56:01

--On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 15:23 -0500 Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen(_dot_)moriarty(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm sure some of these involve new WGs, but it's also
important to consider the role of an AD as a manager.  With
that I mean coaching attempts should be made first to help
chairs that are either new to the job or handling a tough WG.
Seeing chairs turn around a WG that is tough can be impressive
and may be very helpful to the ongoing success of that WG.
The chairs will be more motivated and if helped in a way that
works for them (management style) could lead to a more
productive chair and WG.

Kathleen, while I agree, I also see an opportunity for reducing,
rather than increasing, AD workload in that respect.   We've got
a lot of people around who have successfully led WGs before,
served on the IAB or IESG, etc.  In many cases, they can take
the role of coach and advisor to a new chair.  It may or may not
make any difference whether that coaching role is called
"coach", "mentor", "area advisor" (a term I'm sorry went out of
use or become synonymous with "responsible AD"), or co-chair as
long as those people understand that their role is helping,
advising, etc., rather than running the WGs.  The AD still needs
to manage things to the extent of being sure that things are
working and rearranging personnel when they are not (I think we
do too little of the latter), but doesn't need to be the
frontline coach.

    john