Re: Looking for Area Directors Under Lampposts

If we want to stop the ADs spending large
amounts of time on document quality, we have to take away their power of
decision over what gets published.

That statement is wrong.

I think I understand it, but it's wrong.

The reason it's wrong goes to the heart of how ADs misunderstand their
role in the context of a community collaboration in which they,
ultimately, have not initiated the work or created the work, and they
are not the critical actors in any eventual success or failure of the work.

The core word I used was "community".

The role of an AD is to facilitate (and reflect) the community.

So ADs need to stop viewing their roles as entailing the making of
/their/ decisions and instead view their role as /reflecting/ community
need and benefit.

Based on community information, not their personal preferences.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking