Re: Looking for Area Directors Under Lampposts

2015-11-11 14:22:04
Hi,

On Nov 11, 2015, at 4:54 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

If we want to stop the ADs spending large
amounts of time on document quality, we have to take away their power of
decision over what gets published.

That statement is wrong.

While I am not sure if it’s directly about the IESG's power of decision, it is
another view on what would be necessary to the reduce the work load on Area
Directors.  A lot of the work load of the ADs is reviewing documents.  I think
an important element of reducing their work load is having working groups to
advance higher quality documents to the IESG.

I think we need some way to measure the quality of advanced documents.  It
would be interesting to look at the number of documents that get through the
IESG without any discusses (assuming there are any). If not, some measure of
how many discusses per document.  This would give us a rough measure of the
quality of drafts arriving at the IESG.  Even better report this information
back to each w.g. to give them a quality measure to track.  There may be better
measures, like time in IESG review, but some sort of data would be helpful for
working groups to improve their quality.  Feedback is good.

I think that if we want to reduce the load of Area Directors, getting to the
point where working groups advance documents that doesn’t generate discusses is
an element of reducing the work load on area directors.

Bob