Re: Pervasive abuse

2015-11-15 00:56:44
For what it is worth, I have said this elsewhere but I
can repeat it here: the recent Linux discussion style
examples are bad. When an aggressive communication
style is taken into use — particularly if used by
prominent members — the communication effort
turns into heat and anger. Real information (if any)
is lost, no learning can happen, people start to be
afraid to take up issues, and for what? To score
points? To follow an established style? I think
communities in open source and standards world
have better things to do. Like continue to build
better operating systems and Internet protocols.

I don’t think we have the kind of style in the IETF
that was used in the example, but we of course
have problems. Let me be the first one to confess
to many sins, starting from expressing far too sharp
criticism, instead of working together to increase my
and other people’s understanding of a topic.

But I’m probably not the only one. Please take
a moment to consider how you communicate.

Jari