Re: For Review: IESG Statement on Guidance on Face-to-Face and Virtual Interim Meetings

2015-12-11 09:56:32
On 11 Dec 2015, at 3:42, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

[...]

The biggest deal seems to me to be that virtual meetings in series
(right up to weekly!!!!) are now a blessed IETF procedure.

Personally, I feel that weekly meetings can be *very* effective - but
they are also *very* exclusionary. The number of people in a working
group who can tolerate another weekly phone call in the average working group is likely counted on one hand - perhaps two if the WG is intensely popular - and these will usually be the people who are already full time
committed to the design that is being pursued.

I agree. I think this is a matter of balancing efficiency with inclusiveness. That balance will vary by working group, and hopefully the chairs can do the right thing for their group.

My impression is that we should call these meetings "editor meetings",
"design team meetings" or something else - but expecting a *WG* to show up at weekly phonecalls is a Really Bad Idea, and we shouldn't encorage
more WGs adopting such a practice.

I don't disagree, but we should be careful about meetings that are labeled as "design team" or "editor" meetings, but still walk and quack like interim meetings. If such meetings are announced to the entire working group and cover general working group topics, they are probably interims regardless of what you call them.

Ben.