Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-client-subnet-04

2015-12-16 10:56:00
In Section 7.1.1, can you add a sentence or reference to explain "lame
delegation"?  I recognize that this type of error results when a name
server is designated as the authoritative server for a domain name and
that server does not have authoritative data.

[ AUTHORS: This was a term that was left out of the terminology draft. Do
you have any suggestions for how we can reword this to remove the need for
the term? ]

"... to distinguish the respone from one where the Authoritative
Nameserver is not responsible for the name, which is a common
convention for the REFUSED status."

Section 7.4 says: "Several other implementations, however, do not
support being able to mix positive and negative answers, and thus
interoperability is a problem."  Then, the next paragraph says that
this topic will be revisited in a future specification.  Is there any
advice that the authors can share as a step toward interoperability
that would be useful for implementers until the future specification
comes about?

[ AUTHORS: Any text for here? ]

The current situation is such that I think it is best just to say only
something like, "It is recommended that no specific behaviour
regarding negative answers be relied upon."

Personally my proposal is going to be that negative answers be allowed
to be scoped the same way that positive answers can be, but I don't
expect it to be without some controversy and it wouldn't be right for
me to insert by own bias into this document -- especially since Wilmer
is one of the people who has said that he doesn't think ECS should be
able to be used with negative answers.