RE: IETF hotel selection mode and a proposal (was" Re: Hilton BA is Booked already?)

2015-12-17 10:22:19
Hopefully "perk" is not quite the intended word, but "necessary convenience"
might serve better.
Although...
How many IESG breakfasts were there in Prague?
And, as a member of NomCom I had breakfast meetings every day of the week in
Yokohama, but no preferential treatment.

I agree that the I* needs to be around the meeting venue.
The Secretariat even more so.

But it wold be  useful thought experiment for them all to examine how their
weeks would be different if they had a 20 minute walk each way each day.

Adrian

First meeting for IAB/IESG members during IETF week is 8am, possibly earlier.

My first meeting I have to be at is 9am on some days of the week.

Sure, I might arrange a breakfast meeting etc. But there is a big
difference between a meeting I arrange at my convenience where I
expect four or five people to be at and one that is set by others and
will have two dozen people discussing something that is complex and
not necessarily my stuff.

I am all for greater openness and accountability in IETF. But the
starting point for that would be recognizing that we do actually have
a membership and officeholders should be accountable to it rather than
petty attempts to strip officeholders of the only perk they get for
doing the jobs.