RE: IETF hotel selection mode and a proposal (was" Re: Hilton BA is Booked already?)

2015-12-18 10:02:06

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015, MAISONNEUVE, JULIEN (JULIEN) wrote:

Another crucial aspect is clustering : the issue is completely
different when the overflow hotels are across the street (as one in
Yokohama) and in Buenos Aires (where the nearest overflow hotel is
1.7km away).

***OLE: According to other messages posted on this list, there are
other hotels as close as 600m, but I take your point.

If selecting locations that can host everyone in one
hotel is hard, surely it is easier to find places with a cluster of
reasonably close (walking distance) hotels to a large-enough
conference center.

***OLE: The problem is that so many conference centers are "new"
and typcially NOT in a city center. This creates problems with
respect to access to shops, restaurants and even alternative
lower cost accomodation. Take at look at the RAI in Amsterdam
for example. The IETF met there in 1993.

I think this could take a higher priority in the
selection process, for the future. All the best, Julien.

Ole