Independent Stream (was Re: Cross-area review (was Meeting rotation))

2015-12-29 13:05:42
On 12/25/2015 8:26 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
If they don't want AD review, they can publish through the ISE!   I don't
think many people realize this is an option, but AFAIK that's the whole point
of having an ISE: to publish things that really are requests for comments.

Well, ummm...  The Independent Stream has changed substantially.

It now includes anonymous reviews that attempt substantive quality assessment and content revision demands, or outright rejections based on those reviews and without discussion -- that is, without an attempt to ensure the accuracy or relevance of the review comments.

So while the brief published statement of policy that the Independent Stream uses rather liberal criteria, my two recent experiences with it demonstrate otherwise.

In effect, the Independent Stream has moved from:

"Is this at all relevant to the general IETF community and is it written in a relatively competent/clear manner (and does not not conflict with current IETF work)?"

to:

"Do we think this is something the IETF should be associated with and do we agree that it is useful content?"

My description sounds pretty harsh. I wish I could formulate more palatable language, but my two, recent experience really do point towards what I've described.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking