Re: Joyce Reynolds

2015-12-30 09:44:40
Fred,

Thanks for posting this, even though the news is terrible.  She
and I had been corresponding intermittently since she left ISI
but she seemed to be doing much better (or said she was) when we
last exchanged notes.

For those who don't know, Joyce was not only an AD for a long
time, but basically created the so-called User Services Area
which was responsible for most of our explanatory "how things
work" documents, including the FYI series of RFCs that you
mentioned.  In addition to "who is the RFC Editor", there were
also a range of stories about people calling in the mid-1980s
and looking for the author of the Telnet specs... and not
believing the famous J.K. Reynolds was actually a woman -- a
lesson parts of the community have still not learned.

She set a very high standard for interpersonal relationships in
the IETF, one that we can only approximate with our assorted
"good behavior" documents.  I've frequently missed her presence,
kindness, and wisdom since she became inactive.  She will
certainly be missed.

     john

--On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 09:02 +0000 "Fred Baker