Re: Hotel situation

2016-01-04 12:21:02
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Eric Gray
<eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

One odd thing is that there are other groups who can't tell you what week
they're going to have a meeting any time in the next 6-7 years, but who can
seem to get block sizes for a larger percentage of the attendees at
meetings this year than the 15-25% we seem to get for IETF meetings anymore.

And this has been a worsening trend.  I've attended most IETF meetings in
the last 20 years (I have the t-shirts to prove it) and I can remember when
it was still possible to book a room at one of the meeting hotels at the
IETF rate at least up to the block cut-off date (as opposed to an hour
after the hotel information is made available).

Something changed for IETF hotel bookings about the time of the
bubble-burst and most of us don't have any visibility into what that is.
We can speculate, but there seems to be empirical data that supports the
idea that it is not an unsolvable problem.

[MB] My personal thought here is that the change has been due to the fact
that we seem to be going to more exotic venues and also to venues that are
more touristy destinations - e.g., Orlando during one of the busiest weeks
of the year, Europe in the summer, Hawaii in November, etc.  I realize that
it's a minority that prefers Minneapolis, but I'd like to see the data in
terms of length and degree of participation and contribution to IETF that
goes along with the preferences for various destinations and it would also
be nice to see how many people that prefer more popular tourist
destinations travel with companions that would have no interest whatsoever
to spend time in Minneapolis in the winter.   I understand a bit that the
popular touristy destinations attract more paying participants but I
question whether they attract more long term contributors.  I do have to
say that I like the fact that the meeting rooms aren't nearly as crowded
when we meet at touristy locations.
[/MB]