Re: IETF hotel selection mode and a proposal (was" Re: Hilton BA is Booked already?)

2016-01-12 08:34:41
Hi Dave,

On 12/18/15 1:42 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Choices like BA or Sydney inconvenience essentially all attendees, in
favor of goals other than getting work done.
***OLE: Just to be clear, the IAOC did not choose Buenos Aires, the
IESG in dialog with the community did.
The initiative was from the IAOC.  And the 'dialog with the community'
is a good example of the problematic survey methodology I was citing.

This has been well-hashed before, so I won't review the details.

This is not how I recall things happening.  I and a few others agitated
for trying, at least as an experiment, getting to South America, so that
we could see if we could pick up more direct participation from that
region.  Alvaro was already working hard to set up local meet-ups in
various countries, and it seemed like a good time to start planning to
try to bring people together, and I said so.  In this sense I believe
the IAOC was responding to at least some of us who wanted to go to that
region.

As for this being "outreach theater", I would put it in different
terms.  We are at risk of self-selecting.  This is a means to find new
participants, to show them that they needn't always be at the bad end of
a Meetecho or WebEx connection at some inconvenient hour.

And so, as I mentioned early in this discussion, count me in the crowd
who continues to be glad we are going to BA.  I look forward to an
enjoyable and productive meeting there.

Eliot