Re: IETF hotel selection mode and a proposal (was" Re: Hilton BA is Booked already?)

2016-01-12 12:17:24
At 9:24 AM -0500 1/12/16, John C Klensin wrote:

 But that gets back to an example of the same old set of
 tradeoffs --and my desire that those involved in the process be
 a lot more transparent about it.  Your comment above is
 reasonable and even obvious.  But there are cities (apparently
 including Buenos Aires) where there are approximately zero
 hotels that have enough rooms to give us an 800 or 900 room
 block.

 So, would you propose a hard rule of "stop considering any city
 unless we could got a room block of at least N rooms", with N
 somewhere in the range of 800 or 900?   Unlike the variety of
 more subjective rules, it would be very clear and easy to
 interpret.    My assumption about IETF 95 is that, despite
 understanding and considering the disadvantages of smaller
 hotels, the decision-makers believed they had a sufficient "go
 to Buenos Aires" mandate to override hotel or room block size
 considerations.  I presume that, for the future, we could change
 that if we had consensus that, e.g., minimum room block size was
 a firm requirement.

I'm not fond of hard rules, and would be fine if we had some clear information as to why this city was chosen despite the room block issue. Which of course is an example of your calls for transparency. Maybe a semi-rigid rule that can be overridden with good cause (sort of a SHOULD rather than a MUST)?

--
Randall Gellens
Secrecy is as essential to Intelligence as vestments and