Re: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-hansen-nonkeywords-non2119-04.txt

2016-03-03 18:07:35
On 4 March 2016 at 08:29, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

When reviewing documents for Gen-ART I quite often find myself asking the
authors something like this (extracted from a recent thread on the Gen-ART
list):

Firstly, shouldn't that "should" be a SHOULD?

Yes, that should be a SHOULD. Good catch

Now if that "should" had been disguised as "ought to" I would probably not
have noticed, but it ought to have been changed to "SHOULD" anyway.

​This brings to mind RFC 6919.​

I'm happy to encourage disambiguation by avoiding "should" when we *don't*
mean "SHOULD," but we'd have to be quite sure that that is the case. It's
not enough to just say: 'never write "should;"' and we wouldn't want to
give anyone the impression that that's what we're saying.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/