Re: Getting on with Things

2016-03-09 11:10:47

On 09/03/2016 16:53, Adrian Farrel wrote:
Eliot,

Picking one piece out of your MUD...

I've floated an idea in draft-lear-mud-framework-00.txt which talks a
little about this.  The idea is to learn what the Thing is and then have
its manufacturer communicate to a deployment how the thing is intended
to be used.
This approach worries me. While the manufacturer might not object to this, the
user and the system integrator should. The fact that a device was manufactured
for foo should not stop it being used for bar.

Adrian

Indeed, and too often manufactures already do this as part of their business model.

A classic example is where performance is throttled, or features are enabled only by
licence.

It is but a short step to application specific restriction, although if an application has third party IPR there can be a liability that rests with the manufacturer, in which
case you can understand the concern.

As distasteful and frustrating as this is, restriction of application may be an unfortunate necessity.

- Stewart