Re: Security for the Internet of Things and Other Things (Was: Re: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations)

2016-03-10 10:08:40
Sure, WiFi security is an issue for IoT. But there are probably much more
fundamental IoT security issues. IMHO I think one of the largest is the
lack of a secure & automatic (no end user interaction) software update
channel.

- Jason

On 3/9/16, 9:39 AM, "ietf on behalf of Michael Richardson"
<ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of
mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> wrote:
   > I want to add that the security problem for IOT is wider than
setting
   > up the secure wireless connectivity. I¹m going out on a limb and say
   > that that in the networks that I work with, that¹s a largely solved
   > problem modulo many non-IOT related updates that are being
   > handled.

I think the the problem of setting up the "secure" wireless connectivity
is
largely a distraction, and leads regularly to insecurity.

I also think that the networks you speak of are largely vertically
integrated.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
-= IPv6 IoT consulting =-