Re: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations

2016-03-07 07:52:09

Hiya,

On 07/03/16 13:39, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 04:58:19PM +0000, Jari Arkko wrote:
However, from my perspective there are some pretty big things in the
works and big problems that people should solve, for instance:

[snip]

* privacy in the Internet
* security in the Internet of Things

These are connected and in desperate need of serious attention.  I've
spent some of the past few years studying these areas and the situation
is awful...and getting worse in a hurry.  The rush to market new devices
has turned into a stampede, with the accompanying construction of enormous
data-rich repositories, often stuffed full of data collected without
informed consent and lacking even a token level of security.

Yes, the security and privacy properties of many small devices
that people sell are horrible.

I think the IETF could (and should) make substantial contributions
in this area.  But if we're going to do so, we need to dive in now.

Can you be more specific? (Bearing in mind that we're not the Internet
police and nor are we the "crap small device" police;-)

We do have some work going on in this space (e.g. cose, ace) and I'd
not be at all surprised if people were up for more of that if there
are topics that are good ones for the IETF to tackle.

Cheers,
S.

PS: If a lot of discussion ensues, we might be better off having
that discussion on the saag(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list, but let's see how it
goes for now.

---rsk