Re: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations

2016-03-06 22:20:42
On 3/6/16 6:54 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
It's perfectly appropriate to be upset.  I thought of it in a slightly
different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early days,
we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.
What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling
the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily any
better.  Every possible alternative is now being written down.  And it's not
useful.  -- Jon Postel

I keep going back and forth on this.  If we're going to let
the market decide there's inevitably going to be some waste,
but we really have put a pile of time and effort into standardizing
things that have never seen any uptake and almost certainly
never will.  That doesn't bother me that much, but what does
bother me about it is that that's one of the reasons we're slow.

Melinda