Re: dane-openpgp 2nd LC resolution

2016-03-12 14:16:13
On 03/12/2016 01:00 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
The IETF should not be encouraging experiments on the public
Internet that could be harmful to the Internet or to existing
deployed applications, especially standards-track ones.  Several
people with significant email operational experience have made
the claim that this experiment could be harmful to the
Internet's email infrastructure, if only by encouraging a
violation of a fairly explicit (and very important, IMO)
provision of SMTP.  As far as I can tell from reviewing the
discussions, there has not even been effort to refute those
claims or explain why they are not relevant.

Has anyone laid out the perceived dangers in an easily digestible format? I would be interested to see that discussion.

Given that the DNS RR in question is something the end user has to explicitly request, the danger is not immediately obvious to me.

Doug