Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-05.txt> (FlowQueue-Codel) to Experimental RFC

2016-03-18 10:03:38
IESG, authors,

1. Safe?

My main concern is with applicability. In particular, the sentence in section 7 on Deployment Status: "We believe it to be a safe default and encourage people running Linux to turn it on: ...". and a similar sentiment repeated in the conclusions. "and we believe it to be safe to turn on by default, as has already happened in a number of Linux distributions."

Can one of the authors explain why a solution with the limitations in section 6 can still be described as "safe"? Doesn't "safe" mean "no unintended side-effects"? For instance, the limitations section says FQ_CoDel will schedule all the flows within an IPsec VPN as one entity - equivalent to a single microflow outside the VPN. Also, it says FQ_CoDel overrides the attempt of a scavenger flow to use less capacity than other flows (consequently causing foreground flows to get less capacity than intended). Why do the authors feel the need to say that these behaviours are safe?

Indeed, these sentences seem rather Orwellian. They assert the current group-think as fact, even though it is the opposite of the facts stated earlier.

Would it not be correct instead to say that FQ_CoDel has been made the default in a number of Linux distributions despite not being safe in some circumstances?

2. Default?

If a draft saying "We believe it to be a safe default..." is published as an RFC, it means "The IETF/IESG/etc believes..." Only one solution can be default, so if the IETF says that FQ_CoDel is a safe default, and no other AQM RFC makes any claim to being a safe default (which they do not at the moment), it could be read as the IETF recommending FQ_CoDel for default status and, by implication, other AQMs (like PIE, say) are not recommended for default status.

As far as I know, unlike the listed FQ_CoDel limitations, no limitations of PIE have been identified. I don't think anyone is claiming that the performance of FQ_CoDel is awesomely better than PIE. May be a bit better, may be a bit worse, depending on circumstances, and depending on which you value most out of low queuing delay, high utilization, or low loss.

So, if the authors want the IETF to recommend a default AQM on the basis of safety (and I agree safety is the most important factor when choosing a default), the most likely candidate would be PIE, wouldn't it? FQ_CoDel has unintended side-effects, which implies it is not a good candidate for default; it should only be configured deliberately by those who can live with the side-effects.

I believe these unintended side-effects were the main reason PIE rather than FQ_CoDel was defined as the minimum requirement for a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.

For those reading this who haven't been following the AQM WG, I can assure you I'm not associated with the authors of PIE (or FQ_CoDel). Indeed, I provided an extensive critique of PIE during the WG phase.

3. A Detail
I also have a concern about the way the limitations are written (typically, each limitation is stated, followed by a arm-waving qualification attempting to create an impression that there is not really a limitation). To keep the thread clean, I'll send that in a follow-up email.

Indeed, rather than downplay each limitation, it would be more appropriate (and it is common IETF practice) to flag applicability limitations up front, in the abstract.

Regards

Bob