Re: Last Call: <draft-alakuijala-brotli-08.txt> (Brotli Compressed Data Format) to Informational RFC

2016-03-22 11:49:12
This document requests a registration in the HTTP Content Coding Registry. Its authors proposed the 'br' token, which is an abbreviation of the algorithm name ('brotli').

However, by reviewing existing entries in the HTTP Content Coding Registry, you can notice that so far established convention is to use *full* algorithm name, rather than its abbreviation. For example:

- 'gzip' is used instead of 'gz'
- 'compress' is used instead of 'z'
- etc.

This convention is also respected by implementations when they create unofficial/non-standardized tokens. For example lighttpd and lynx support bzip2 compression and use 'bzip2' token for indicating it, rather than 'bz2' abbreviation.

I would urge to not break this convention and maintain the consistency, that is, to select and register 'brotli' as a HTTP Content Coding token for Brotli Compressed Data Format, instead the 'br' abbreviation.

(As IANA website says that Registration Procedure for HTTP Transfer Coding Registry is 'IETF Review', I assume that ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing list is the right place to raise these concerns. If not, please redirect me to a place where I would be able to reach people doing this review.)

Piotr Jurkiewicz
Department of Telecommunications
AGH University of Science and Technology
Kraków, Poland