Re: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations

2016-03-25 05:23:18
Hello,
At 15:03 29-02-2016, Jari Arkko wrote:
The team has been working and they have today published
an -00 draft. We'd love to have your feedback and thoughts
on this topic!

The draft is interesting. Some of the topics which might be of interest are: succession planning, fragmentation and cross-culture communication.

If I am not mistaken it is the first time that a (IETF) draft acknowledges that politics and technology are intertwined. The draft asks some interesting questions. Will the IETF be able to address those questions? There hasn't been significant ink-shedding in the IETF on those questions. I'll highlight a point in the draft: "If participation is solely driven around getting one's own work done then that might deteriorate the quality of the overall output and thereby the relevance of the IETF". As the draft mentions, it takes a serious investment of a person's time for IETF participation. The question that a person could ask is: what's in it for me?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy