Re: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations

2016-03-21 09:18:28
Phillip, Charles,

1) A draft describing the protocol
  a) Text describing protocol
  b) Examples from running code
  c) Reference section
2) Reference implementation

Yes, excellent!

We need to consider how to make open source code readily available to
community that might be interested in it, and to do so in a timely manner. We
also need to consider the target audience, the end users of the code and
specification. Much of the great work the IETF does never gets adopted. We
need more focus on end user community and adoption. We need to consider
barriers to deployability. Hackathons are a small step in right direction,
but I thing we should consider offering training and keep end users in mind
from the start and throughout the standardization process.

Yes, but I would approach this from a slightly different end-point. It is
always the case that convincing others of something new is a lot of work. In my
mind, standards or open source work both succeed best when performed by those
who actually are deploying and in charge of building mainstream systems
(commercial or open source) for the topic. So it is not so much about IETF folk
reaching the adopters, but having the adopters drive the IETF work…

Jari