Re: Last Call on draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt ("Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology")

2016-03-25 11:29:19
Jari:

I looked at the diff between RFC 3979 and draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt.  The
changes are substantial.  Over the last few years there have been sessions at
IETF meetings about the things that needed to be clarified, but my
interpretation of those discussions was that we had most things right and a few
things needed to be clarified.  So the extent of the proposed changes is a bit
of a surprise to me.  I do not find Section 13 helpful is explaining the
changes that were made, or the rationale for them.

The definition of Contribution now includes:

      o any IETF-sanctioned design team or portion thereof,

I really have a problem with the use of "IETF-sanctioned” in this bullet.  RFC
2418 talks about design teams.  It says:

6.5. Design teams

   It is often useful, and perhaps inevitable, for a sub-group of a
   working group to develop a proposal to solve a particular problem.
   Such a sub-group is called a design team.  In order for a design team
   to remain small and agile, it is acceptable to have closed membership
   and private meetings.  Design teams may range from an informal chat
   between people in a hallway to a formal set of expert volunteers that
   the WG chair or AD appoints to attack a controversial problem.  The
   output of a design team is always subject to approval, rejection or
   modification by the WG as a whole.

It seems to me that the design team, whether established by the leadership or
self organized, intends to influence the IETF document.  For this reason, I
think that any design team participation must be considered a contribution.

Russ

On Mar 22, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net>