Re: IETF registration fees...

2016-05-09 16:27:00

John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:
    >> I knew that IETF registration fees had gone up from the $500USD of yore.
    >> $700USD isn't so bad... but there is 19% VAT on it, so $833USD.
    >> That's ~$1100 CDN.  Tripping over the $1000 CDN mark is a big
    >> psychological
    >> impact.  I guess it would have been worse if the CDN wasn't on the
    >> "rebound"

    > Germany has a reciprocal VAT agreement with Canada.  You may be able
    > to get the VAT on the registration fee and other business expenses in
    > Germany such as your hotel bill refunded.

If it's really a reciprocal VAT agreement, then I can just declare it as
an input tax credit (ITC).  I will probably do just that and let the audit
fall where it may.

It's not so much the existence of the tax, as it is the 1000 odometer
experience.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-