Re: Testimony to US Commerce Committee

2016-05-24 20:47:59
Thanks, Andrew. I read your remarks and listened to the Q&A part of the
recording. From my perspective, a good job was done.

I thought Senator McCaskill had some excellent questions for those opposed to
the transition. She pointed to a bipartisan bill that she and Senator Rubio had
written that passed without a negative ballot in both the House and Senate,
that said that the US is interested in an open Internet in which government has
a voice but no control, and asked them what changed. Their answer was not a
good one.

I believe that Senator Fischer and Cantwell, if I'm not mistaken, also had some
excellent questions for you and others, that were frankly at the heart of USG's
real concerns. Instead of one ccTLD, they have a cluster - notably .us, .mil,
and .gov. They wanted to be sure that their ccTLD(s) would remain theirs. The
answer came from one of the other panelists, and said that if DoD and GSA
wanted to write a contract, as opposed to depending on precedent, they were
sure that could be worked out - and in any event, he foresaw no action that
would compromise that any more than and other ccTLD.

And the point was made repeatedly, by you and others, that further delay served
no useful purpose. From the sound of the members speaking, that viewpoint was
accepted.

So - well done.