RE: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 19:21:43
Given events over the past 15 years in New York, Washington, Madrid, London,
Sydney, Paris, Brussels,........ the possibility always exists of someone
experiencing a devastating impact when engaging in international travel. The
key thing is whether the risk of being affected by such an event poses a
significant risk.

Are there any foreign nationals, currently or recently (over the past 10 years)
jailed in Singapore for the offences of concern? If not then I would suggest
that such a risk is minimal and much less than other potential devastating
risks of international travel.

According to Wikipedia page
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory) which I
expect is pretty accurately maintained by members of the LGBT community (at
time of writing the last update was 3 days ago):
 - Singapore: Penalty: up to 2 years prison sentence (Not enforced since 1999)

IMHO not enforced since 1999 (if accurate) does not represent a significant
risk. I think it should not be too difficult for IETF to confirm the actual
situation as this must be a matter of public record.

The additional concerns raised about family hospital visitation rights, etc,
because of lack of recognition of same sex marriage potentially apply to just
about every country in Asia (including Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea
where IETF has had or has scheduled meetings). The Netherlands was the first
country in the world to recognize same sex marriage as recently as 2001 and
IETF has had successful meetings all over the world prior to 2001 and since
then in many countries where same-sex marriage was not recognized at the time
without such a concern being raised. If we recognize also this concern as a
total bar to locations then we cannot meet almost anywhere in Asia for the
foreseeable future. Also several countries in Europe do not currently recognize
full same sex marriage (according to the same site only 12 out of 28 EU
members) with 22 out of 28 recognizing same sex unions and 6 neither. What same
sex unions means for foreign same-sex married couples in terms of h!
 ospital visitation rights is unclear and potentially affects our upcoming
Berlin meeting (in Germany only same sex unions and not marriage is currently
recognized according to the site).

Cancellation of the Singapore IETF meeting likely represents a significant
financial loss to IETF, (expect increased meeting fees to cover that in
future), the almost certain loss of a meeting located in the Asia region (also
a negative impact on equal participation, fairness and diversity) and possibly
the complete loss of a face to face meeting (if another suitable location
cannot reasonably be found at short notice) with the associated financial
impact of the loss of a 3rd of the annual meeting fee revenue. Taking such a
momentous step should be determined by whether the Singapore location
represents an actual significant risk to any of the IETF participants based on
the actual facts.

If we take such decisions based not on the actual significant risk to any of
the IETF participants but on our distaste for aspects of laws or public policy
then we are creating a precedent for the future evaluation of meeting locations
based on whether some in the community find aspects of the locations laws or
public policy unacceptable.  That will IMHO significantly distract from the
mission of IETF and significantly impact our ability to meet face to face in a
regionally balanced manner.

Andrew