Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 13:56:20
On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Yoav Nir
<ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 24 May 2016, at 8:44 PM, Adam Roach <adam(_at_)nostrum(_dot_)com> wrote:

I do not doubt that it sucks to be a gay or bisexual male living in
Singapore. Spending a week there for work should be fine.

I'll again agree with Jari's formulation, adding emphasis to the final three
cited words: "I think it is of course necessary to consider things that
affect the ability to enter, safety (possibly including usual human
activities that people do outside meetings anyway, families travelling
along)”.

Then I guess where I disagree with both you and Melinda is that I don’t
think the ability to bring families along should be an important
consideration. This may be because I have never traveled to work with
family, nor do I consider them coming as anything other than a vacation (for
them - I would be stuck in meetings). I am somewhat uncomfortable with idea
of a companion program, but that’s a subject for a different thread.

Yes, there are exceptional cases such as when people need to travel with
companions due to disability. Traveling with family beyond that is a choice.

Breastfeeding is another instance where brining your family is
important.  8 days is just too long to be away from a baby
breastfeeding.  It's a lot of milk to pump and send back or have
stocked up in advance.  There are some instances where having a
support person and child are essential to some attendees being able to
participate.  I've said this already and Ted made this argument
already.  There may be other situations, I don't know as I haven't run
into them yet.

Kathleen

Assuming the worst about Singapore, it’s not fair that I have that choice,
while Ted may feel that he does not. But if we can conclude that our
participants themselves face no risk of harm or discrimination, I don’t
think that should be a consideration.

Yoav

--

Best regards,